This the tragic moment Damilola Grace Olakanmi, a 23-year-old law student who lived in Ilford, East London, fell ill immediately after eating just one sweet laced with the drug.

The University of Hertfordshire student bought the ‘gummies’ using a messaging app on her phone and had them delivered to her home the same day. A 21-year-old friend visiting from America also became gravely ill after the pair each had one sweet.

An ambulance was called to the property at 11.30pm on March 29. Miss Olakanmi was taken by air ambulance to Queen’s Hospital in Romford in a critical condition.

Damilola Grace Olakanmi is kissed in hospital by her mother Wumi. The 23-year-old law student is thought to have became the first Briton to die after eating a cannabis sweet

Her mother Wumi, 51, a churchgoer, kept a vigil by her bedside until she lost her fight for life on Saturday. 

Doctors were able to save her friend, who was later discharged. Yesterday justice campaigner and relative Richard Taylor, 75, urged young people to ‘resist drugs’

Police have arrested a man in connection with the case after they found a large quantity of cash and suspected edible cannabis products.

Leon Brown, 37, of South Norwood, south-east London, has been charged with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.

Last year schoolchildren as young as eight were taken to hospital after eating cannabis sweets in Bradford. In London, a number of youngsters hallucinated and passed out after taking the substances.